Sweet, with a Toffee twist, this scrumptious Caramel Mudcake pairs perfectly with Vanilla Buttercream or White Chocolate Ganache.
- 1 cup Self Raising Flour
- 1 cup Plain Flour All Purpose
- 1 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Butter or Margarine softened
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence/flavour
- 200 g White Chocolate, Melted with oil**
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil (for heating with Chocolate) for melting with chocolate
- 2 tsp Caramel/Butterscotch Flavour (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 150℃ (300℉) for Conventional Ovens. Fan forced and convection oven heats may vary. Line or grease and flour 2 6"x3" cake tins.
- Combine White Chocolate and oil, and melt slowly either in the microwave, or over a double boiler.
- Add dry ingredients to your mixer bowl, and mix through, to avoid sugar clumps.
- Add Eggs, milk, butter, and flavours, and mix on medium speed until combined.
- On low speed, slowly add chocolate mixture, and then mix on medium until combined.
- Bake for about 1 1/2 hours. The key with mudcakes is to bake them at a low temperature so they don’t rise, and to keep that delicious fudgy texture, so adjust as necessary.
**Important note about baking cakes with White Chocolate** White Chocolate is notorious for creating ‘sinkholes’ in cakes, especially if they are baked too hot too quick. To avoid this, bake your cake on a low temperature (as above), and avoid filling a tin above 3 inches. Mudcakes last REALLY well. This cake will keep well wrapped/air tight, for at least a week in or out of the fridge. If you have PERISHABLE fillings, you MUST store your cakes in the fridge.Basic Buttercream lasts as well as Mudcake, so you could easily make your cake on the Monday, and store it airtight in the fridge for Saturday. I say airtight, because while it won’t spoil quickly, its still cake, so it WILL dry out given the chance!