Do you love cookies? Of course you do! And believe it or not, they are actually as much fun to decorate, as they are to eat! True story!
My favourite medium for cookie decorating is Royal Icing, hands down. I love to pipe, so it ticks that box, but it also allows you to blend colours, patterns, and layers, as well as add minute detail, or large blocks of colour.
I use Haniela’s Royal Icing recipe, with a few small changes, and it’s been absolutely perfect for everything from flooding cookies, to stiff consistency piping.
The Royal Icing Recipe I Use
As I mentioned, I use a variation of Haniela’s Lemon Royal Icing Recipe, which I have listed here, but I recommend you check out here video for the original version, as well as how to make it.
- 1 kg Icing Sugar (Powdered Sugar)
- 4 1/2 tbsp Tablespoons Pavlova Magic (To replace the ridiculously hard to find Meringue Powder here in Australia. US and other countries can use Meringue Powder)
- 1 tsp Cream of Tartar (Not essential, but helps to stabilise your Royal Icing, especially for thicker piping)
- 1/2 Cup AND 2 Tablespoons of warm water
- Vanilla or other flavourings to taste
This awesome recipe can also be halved without any problem, so if you are only making a few cookies, or just want a little to practice with, go right ahead!
Let me know if you have any questions, and be sure to check out Haniela’s on Youtube. Hani is my cookie hero, and I have learned everything I know about cookies from watching her 🙂
Viva La Buttercream! (and Royal Icing 😉 )