This delicious syrup is perfect for fillings or drizzling over sweets. Once you've had homemade you'll never use the fake stuff again.
- 1 punnet Strawberries Fresh or frozen hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar 1/3 for Tart syrup
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence/flavouring
- Hull and quarter your strawberries, and place into a dry saucepan, over low to medium heat. Add granulated sugar and vanilla.
- Heat the strawberries until around half of the volume of the saucepan is liquid. Using a stick blender, mash and blend the strawberries into a pulp. They will probably look a bit “foamy” at this point, that is normal, and will subside as the syrup cooks.
- Continue heating on low to medium heat until the mix thickens, and is more glossy than when blended.
- To test when the syrup is cooked, tilt the saucepan gently to the side, and drag a wooden spoon through the mix sliding down the saucepan. The syrup is ready when it folds over the line, rather than continuing to run.
**You can use frozen strawberries for this recipe, just be aware that they usually have a higher water content, so will require a longer simmer. If you want to freeze fresh strawberries to use in syrup, hull and quarter them before you freeze them, as they can then just be put straight into the saucepan frozen.**