Viva La Buttercream

✨ For all of life's Magic ✨

    Star Tips and Rosettes

    Stars… in your multitude..

    Sorry, I couldn’t resist, I’m a theatre buff!

    So you’ve probably heard the terms “open star” and “drop flower” tips, but what do they do, and when do I use them?

    What’s the best tip for piping rosettes?

    Open and Closed (Drop) Tips

    From their name, you can gather that open tips are open, and closed tips are closed, but what difference does it make?

    Open tips are ideal for rosettes, most borders, and for use in overpiping styles.

    Closed tips, also known as drop flower tips, are used to create star or “flower” shapes, piped directly onto cakes or cupcakes. They can be piped straight, or piped with a twist to create interest. They are also perfect for use as filler flowers on cakes, or for adding small bursts of colour.

    Below is a picture of the more commonly used small star tips, followed by some examples of how they perform different tasks.  As you will see, open and closed tips pipe rosettes and stars very differently.

    Large Star Tips

    Large tips are generally used for rosettes or large borders.  Rosettes can be piped directly onto cupcakes, or onto cakes for a simple, yet very effective technique.

    Depending on your piping style, you may prefer to use a different tip than other pipers.  I prefer to use a 1B tip for cupcakes, as I bake larger style cupcakes, whereas 1M tips are popular with other decorators.  For piping onto a cake, or mini cupcakes, I use a 2D tip, which is the same as a 1B, only smaller.

    Below is a picture of the most popular large star tips, and examples of the rosettes they create.

    Viva La Buttercream xx

    13 thoughts on “Star Tips and Rosettes

    1. Thank you very much, Kerrie! I’m a complete novice trying to make a pretty cake for the dessert bar of a wedding on Saturday. Your wonderful examples helped me figure out what I want/need to do!

    2. Hi Kerrie, the examples of what each nozzle looks like in cream is really helpful! I’m looking for a nozzle similar to 21 (above) or 2D (above). Do you know where I can buy them from? I’m based in Melbourne Australia.Ideally, I’m after a nozzle that is a little larger than 21 (same number of points in the star), like the size of 2D (but it only has six points).

      Any guidance would be welcome!

      1. Hey Fran! I think we answered this in group? But for anyone else reading it, both tips are available at cake stores. The tip I use thats like a 2D only bigger, is the 1B. It can sometimes be a little harder to find, but most stores will order it for you!

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *